Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Carving Pumpkins...TIPS

I read many, many blogs each day and SO ENJOY doing it...the hazard is that I often run across something that "sticks" in my head and by the time I get around to create something using their inspiration or post hints and tips (which it is in this case), I forget where I saw it....if you know where I got the following pumpkin carving tips...PLEASE let me know so I can link to their blog!

TIPS FOR CARVING A PUMPKIN:
  • Instead of removing the top for the lid, try cutting around the bottom...it makes it much easier to light the candle (yes, we still use a candle) and then place the pumpkin over the bottom (who would've thought)
  • If you're working with stencils to draw your image, use masking tape...it sticks better
  • When cutting intricate designs, start with the most detailed parts first
  • "THIN" the side you're carving before cutting by taking a spoon and scraping some of the 'meat' from the inside....you have to be careful because if it's too thin, the pumpkin might break but if it's too thick, it makes it hard to cut
  • If you're carving several days in advance, place the CARVED pumpkins in a bathtub full of ice water and they won't "shrivel" and will be good as new when you're ready for them (this locks in the moisture)
  • Rub Vaseline on the carved portions (i.e. inside the holes for eyes, etc.) to keep the moisture in which will make them last longer
Aren't those WONDERFUL tips!!!  We're painting pumpkins this year using glow-in-the-dark paint but next year, I think I'm going to try these tips!!!  Knowing me, though, I'll probably go ahead and carve one THIS YEAR just because I'm curious...lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for showing some {{{love}}}....