Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Copper Harvest Card...

Foiling With an Embossing Folder: Shine and Dimension in One Technique!

What happens when you combine a foiling system with an embossing folder? See how I used this new cardmaking technique to add beautiful shine and raised dimension to a handmade harvest card.


There is something about a little shine that makes a handmade card feel extra special—but this technique takes it one step further. I combined a foiling system with an embossing folder to create a background that has both gorgeous metallic shine and raised dimension!

The result is one of those details you really have to tilt toward the light to fully appreciate. The foil catches your eye first, and then the embossed texture makes you want to reach out and touch it.

A New Way to Use Foil

I love discovering techniques that help us look at the supplies in our craft rooms differently. Instead of using the foiling system and embossing folder separately, I brought them together to create the copper-patterned panel on this card.

The background adds plenty of interest without competing with the layered pumpkin and foliage. It also proves that a background does not need to be complicated to make a big impact.


Watch the Technique in Action

Photos show the finished texture, but video is the best way to see the foil catch the light and understand how the layers come together. In the video below, I walk you through the technique, share what I learned, and assemble the finished card.

 

 WATCH THE FOILING TECHNIQUE VIDEO →

Building the Card

Because the background already brings plenty of shine and texture, I kept the focal point soft and layered. The pale pumpkins, delicate foliage and warm floral pattern balance the bolder copper foil. A little twine adds natural texture, while the small gems give the design another subtle bit of sparkle.

The “A Little Hello” sentiment keeps this card useful beyond one specific occasion. Although the colors and pumpkin imagery work beautifully for autumn, the technique itself can be used year-round. Imagine it with snowflakes, florals, geometrics, birthday designs or even a more masculine pattern.


Tips Before You Try It

  • Choose an embossing-folder pattern with enough open detail for the foil to be noticeable.

  • Let the foil and texture be the star; too many competing embellishments can hide the technique.

  • Check the result from several angles before deciding whether you need more embellishment—the shine changes dramatically in the light.

  • Expect a little experimentation when trying a new combination of tools and materials. Keep your first attempt or two as samples and make notes about what worked.





Shop the Supplies

Ready to try this combination of shine and dimension? You can shop the products used for this project through my online store.

SHOP THE PROJECT SUPPLIES →

Shopping through my link supports my ScrappinKaty business at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting my creative work!

What Would You Foil First?

Now that I have seen the shine and dimension this technique creates, I am already thinking about other embossing folders I want to try. I would love to know what design you would choose first!

Leave a comment below and tell me—and if you try the technique, be sure to share your project with me.

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for showing some {{{love}}}....